Friday, March 01, 2019

Welcome Home

Hello Dear Internet Peoples,

I know there's probably no one or maybe just one of you out there that will read this.  I’ve picked this ball up many times over the past 8 years and put it back down, so who could blame you if you’ve given up on me.  I certainly don’t.
All I can say is that I am here again, with new energy and a whole new look at life, the universe and the world as we know it.


And that is what I mean to share with you. There is something I’ve come to realize since I started this blog so many years ago. I am a writer. Yup, I’m a writer. There, I said it, it’s out there now and, well, I’m living up to that statement. Simmy Bredal-Bell, self-confessed, left handed, dyslexic, average C- student in High School is a writer. And a late blooming natural at that.


Ok, so I’m not here to brag, more to just pinch myself because, who knew? A few people, myself not included.


So here is where I’m going to share my works, thoughts, mind doodles, essays, stories – you name it.


I started school last May, but my writing started long before that. When I was 12, I took a trip with another family, it was my first trip on my own. We went to Carlisle, IL to visit friends. One of our stops included places like St. Louis, MO to see the Arch. It was a long car ride and I had a spiral note binder. I was, what I considered, the worlds biggest Star Wars fan and Han Solo was my favorite character, so I set out to write a Han Solo story. I finished it it by the time I got home. I held on to it for a few years, then felt embarrassed by it so I most likely threw it away. What I wouldn’t give to read that thing now.

I never took myself for a serious writer. I became comfortable with being called a lazy student, so I had no curricular aspirations, I got by in school and I never had passion for any subject except for Music. What I loved was making up stories. I was one of the last teenagers to stop playing with her action figures. Let’s face it, I was one of the few girls who played with action figures, but I know there was more of us out there. I lived in my fantasy world.

As an older teenager, I told bedtime stories. Humorous ones because those got the most attention. I once made up a Cinderella type story where our princess wannabe wore depression glass slippers because she was, well, depressed because of the cards she was dealt.


When that died down, I settled into getting lost in the movies and great Animated Films of the 90’s and 00’s. What would I have done without those golden years of the silver screen? My cousin and I wrote a screen play in 1992 but we never finished it.

But in my mind, I wasn’t a writer.



Fast forward to April of 2017. I was nursing a broken heart over the deaths of the characters of Rogue One, I mean it was a great ending, but those poor people were robbed, and Disney knows it. Why else would they be bringing Cassian Andor back for his own TV series?

Ok, I’m getting distracted. Blame Diego Luna.




Anyway, I had a story inside of me that had to be written. So, I sat down at my computer and wrote Chapter 1. I’ve been writing ever since.

Since May of 2018 I have been taking college level writing classes.  My instructors have been so encouraging and inspiring.  All of them have encouraged me to continue with various stories I’ve pitched, and I’ve made each of them laugh.  Mission accomplished.  More school is in the future.  But for the next semester, I will be taking a break so I can just write. 
I’ve written a bit already and I will share a lot of it with you, I hope you enjoy it. Some of it is sad, some of it is funny, some of it, just is.
So, if you are up for the ride, I promise it will be fun and consistent. I have made a promise to myself to write every day, and you will be privy to some of it.
In the infamous words of my new favorite Star Wars Character, Cassian Andor, I bid you and myself a warm ‘Welcome Home’.


1 comment:

Nailzace1 said...

Live your dream! You go girl!