Monday, February 01, 2010

Inspired by “Julie & Julia”

 imageOK, so maybe I’m a bored housewife.  Maybe I’m a desperate caretaker who is having a mid-life crisis.  Or maybe I’ve fallen in love with cooking, GOOD cooking and scrummy food!

I think if you talk with any woman in their 40’s who finds a new passion and sit her down and make her watch the movie “Julie & Julia”, she will find similarities between her and Julia Child.  No, not every woman turns a past time to help with housewife boredom into a midlife career or changes home cooking forever.  But this delightful film certainly romanticizes an ideal that most of us would like to see come true.  I think that Julia Child would be pleased with the resurgence of her “French Cooking” techniques and the inspiration it has given to a whole new generation of home cooks.  Both men and women.image

I remember watching Julia Child with my mom in the kitchen when I was a little girl.  I don’t remember much other than her warbly voice and the fact that she always seem to have a glass of wine at the ready.  Little did I know that Julia would help me through a tough time while taking care of my sick mother.

Then there is the “parody” that Dan Aykroyd made famous on SNL on December 9, 1978. Classic!

Mom discovered two old shows of Julia that are now being aired in the middle of the night.

imageimage

Both shows have corresponding cookbooks.  I’ve been cooking and baking up a storm.  I’m gaining weight and need to get some self control back, but my family is THRILLED with my new passion.

From time to time, I’ll be sharing some of the results with you.  So stay tuned… and Bon Appétit!

No comments: